~*Let's talk about...- Der Englisch-Thread!*~

• Year, we'll defently see you. :lachen

[CENTER][SIZE=2]My 0.00000001 percent chance of marrying Alex Gaskarth still beats [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER][CENTER][SIZE=2] your 0 percent chance of marrying Edward Cullen. [/SIZE]
    [/CENTER]

• Hey!
    I like speaking ( and wirting ;-) ) English...
    I haven`t seen " From hell" , but I`ve heard about it.
    So, I don`t want to see it, because they all say that the movie is very scary (?)..
    Yeah bye Angels

Nicht jeder Schatz besteht aus Silber und Gold

[SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE]

• But it's kinda sad, that you seem to be that relieved to be done with it. I have the strong believe that when you read a book (no matter what language or a "real" book or Comic/Manga) you should enjoy it entirely. Well, of course there are books you don't like but hopefully those are very very few.

In fact I don't really know if I like Stephen King's books. Sometimes this one was interesting but most of the time it was only boring, long-timed and dumb. But I heard that this book is one for "real fans" because it is very longbreathed. Well.
    I've read it for four weeks or so and strangely enough the most boring part was the end :hammer.
    I've read it because I didn't want to give up reading a book again and because it was a very good thing for my English. After I have read half of the book, I wrote an English exam and it was a 1 with the following commentar by the teacher with something like - I have the feeling that your English has improved much since your last exam - .

You were in Bergen-Belsen? School thing or just because?

Just because. It's holidays and I don't have anything to do. I wanted to visit Bergen-Belsen, because I haven't already and a friend of mine wanted that, too. In fact, it was her idea ;).
    By the way, I finished Anne Frank's diary.

Jack the Ripper... :hua I saw "From Hell" in the cinema (at the cinema?). Horror movies. You can't watch them but you can't walk away from them either. Me anyway...

Actually I like horror movies. Especially thrillers and psycho thrillers. I can watch them really good, no problem with that. Not so lang ago I watched "Joyrider" and "The Cell".

• Zitat von Livia

I've read it for four weeks or so and strangely enough the most boring part was the end.

Well, that's really strange... Maybe it was good I stopped reading when I did...
    So far I liked the books by Stephen King I read. I got interested in his writing, when I was on holiday with AWO (I was 13), a whole bunch of strange (a few of them kind of psychotic) girls (and boys, whom didn't interest me at all) and nothing to do. And one of the OK-girls brought "Carrie" along and I read it. After "Pet Sematary" (know I know the english title :D) I was hooked. I especially like "The Dark Tower" cyclus so far. But as I mentioned before, I will have to start it all over again. :suse

You are already done with Anne Frank? That was fast.

Zitat von Angels

So, I don`t want to see it, because they all say that the movie is very scary (?)..

:welcome here, Angels. Yes, it is scary. But disgusting too. At least if you tend to think yourself into the victims point of view. :hua Like I use to. I will never understand people like that. And I guess that is for the best. It might keep me from going down that ... (I'm at a loss for word to discribe it) road myself.

Zitat von Livia

Actually I like horror movies. Especially thrillers and psycho thrillers. I can watch them really good, no problem with that. Not so lang ago I watched "Joyrider" and "The Cell".

I like them too. I just can't look most of the time. :D It's stupid I know. Well thrillers are mostly OK. But horror movies... so much blood, gore and violence. I just can't watch that specific scenes. I feel for the victim too much. And it makes me thick to think about the fact that there are people actually capable of DOING things like that.
    "Joyrider"? Doesn't ring a bell with me. What is that movie about?

There is a really really old movie. Thriller I would say. Sadly I don't know the title or the actors, so I probably will never be able to find it on DVD, if it shall ever come to being published on DVD or already did.
    It was about a blind woman who got into trouble because (for a reason I can't remember) a man wanted to kill her. I believe it was a black/white movie. It played mostly or all the time in that house she lived in. And she was clever inspite of being scared. Can't remember the end either. But I liked that movie. I still hope I find out which one it was by luck.

Sorry, for writing so much again...

Ein Weg entsteht dadurch, daß man ihn geht. - Ob er einem gefällt oder nicht, hängt davon ab, ob man darauf achtet wohin man tritt.

• You are already done with Anne Frank? That was fast.

As I already said, holidays ...

"Joyrider"? Doesn't ring a bell with me. What is that movie about?

There are two boys and a girl who ride with a car on american highways. Then They do a ...
    Uh, man, I have really problems with my English at the moment.
    Look here.

• Holidays doesn't have to mean anything. There are much more things than just reading you might want to do. That's why I said "fast".

"Joyrider" sounds really thrilling. I like Paul Walker and Leelee Sobieski. I kind of confused that movie with "Highway Psychos" at first. I haven't seen that one yet either but I got the DVD already. Just waiting for the right moment... namely when I manage to muster up some courage. I get scared so easily. But I like Radha Mitchell. That's one of the reasons I want to see "Highway Psychos". And "High Art", though that one is only with subtitles. I prefer watching the german version before the original but... well. Got to do it different for that one.

Good night, Melanie.

Ein Weg entsteht dadurch, daß man ihn geht. - Ob er einem gefällt oder nicht, hängt davon ab, ob man darauf achtet wohin man tritt.

• "From Hell" is a good example for a movie everyone should watch in Englisch. I reeeaally dislike Heather's German voice, she sounds like a real bitch (sorry). Being a whore, that may not be that farfetched (:D), but then I think you can't appreciate her real character.
    [The other problem is, I don't like Johnny's accent there. It sounds so artificial and forced. On IMDB there are discussions between native speakers - some say, he's overdone it, others say that there actually people somewhere in Great Britain who speak like that :misstrau. But still, the movie is much better in English.]

[SIZE="3"][center][FONT="Garamond"]
    Das ist nicht die Sonne, die untergeht,
    sondern die Erde, die sich dreht.[/FONT][/center][/SIZE]

• Heldin! Hi! Where have you been? I missed you! :knuddel

[SIZE=1]a shiver came quick, grabbed me up by the back of the neck and shook me down to the floor. through my shoes to the floor to the core of the earth. I muttered something swallowed some air, science miracles monkeys a prayer, I'll believe in anything when I'm there[/SIZE][SIZE=1] I'm certain I've said that before (unbekannte Quelle).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]
    http://www.lastfm.de/user/sKeral/
    [/SIZE]

• I was on holidays :), in the Normandy. I talked about it in the UU-Fred last Saturday (well, you know, not the day before yesterday, but last week), but it was at eleven or something, and only Magda took notice of it, I think :D.

• I DO try to read everything that happened since my last post there... but on some days it is THAT much... and actually I did not see Magdi for quite a long time either...

(at least I realized that you were not here ;))

[SIZE=1]a shiver came quick, grabbed me up by the back of the neck and shook me down to the floor. through my shoes to the floor to the core of the earth. I muttered something swallowed some air, science miracles monkeys a prayer, I'll believe in anything when I'm there[/SIZE][SIZE=1] I'm certain I've said that before (unbekannte Quelle).[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

• okaaaaaaay, than I'm clearly suicidal :D Livia, I do it because there is quite a lot of people spamming there who I really like, and that way I can keep up with what's going on ;)

[SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

• Zitat von Heldin

"From Hell" is a good example for a movie everyone should watch in Englisch. I reeeaally dislike Heather's German voice, she sounds like a real bitch (sorry). Being a whore, that may not be that farfetched (), but then I think you can't appreciate her real character.
    [The other problem is, I don't like Johnny's accent there. It sounds so artificial and forced. On IMDB there are discussions between native speakers - some say, he's overdone it, others say that there actually people somewhere in Great Britain who speak like that :misstrau. But still, the movie is much better in English.]

That movie I don't have on DVD. It was good, but I don't think I want to watch it again. Too... disgusting and scary.
    Though I found out, that most movies I watch in the original language (namely english) I like that version better. Sometimes the german translation is something entirely different than what the english text says. :misstrau I realized that the first time I watched "Dirty Dancing" in o-tone.

• Zitat

Sometimes the german translation is something entirely different than what the english text says. :misstrau

Yep, totally true, and really often, especially jokes can't be translated as well or at all (which is sometimes understandable, sometimes not).

• But if the person who translates is really good, it is not too hard to translate jokes and puns from English to German... Imagine being an interpreter who has to transfer English into languages of a totally different culture, where people's approach to language is completely different?!

[SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

• True, but even translating from Englisch to German can be hard sometimes, for example if you're confronted with pure word jokes. That sounds awkward, 'word joke'. But leo says it's right...
    Though sometimes there are moments when I really admire the good work of translators. Not often, but sometimes :D.

• "pun" ist the word for "Wortspiel", Heldin ;)

I was attending a Terry Pratchett reading once, and he is friends with his German interpreter... they talk about how to transcribe jokes if they cannot be translated...

[SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]

• Ah, yeah, I forgot :).
    I remember a scene from "Emma", for example - in English she says "Oh dear..." to herself and when she is asked to explain, she sidesteps it by talking about the deer in the region ;). In German, she says "Oh Himmel..." and then talks about the blue (or not-so-blue sky) :D. That was actually done quite well, the point got across.

• I read the book "Der menschliche Dämon" which is translated form English.
    And I read an expression there ... :hua:hua:hua
    "... die "weiße Kragen" Arbeiter ..."
    :hammer :hammer

• "'Weiße Kragen' Arbeiter"? Ow. That hurts.
    It's so stupid that it's already a bit funny :D.